Tuesday, June 9, 2009

MoCCA 2009 Report

I went to New York!

I don't think there's much I can say about this year's convention that hasn't already been said by people far more eloquent than myself. So I'll keep it short:

This year, because of the Xeric book, I did more conventions than I ever have before: SPX, APE, Stumptown, MECAF and MoCCA. Of those, MoCCA was easily the most expensive, but sales were about the same as any other convention. And, the MoCCA staff did less for the exhibitors. The website was a mess, we had a hell of a time getting our badges Saturday morning, and with all the heat, I couldn't even find water. At Stumptown and MECAF, volunteers brought water around to all the exhibitors!

From what I've read, prices for MoCCA tables are going to $400 next year. If that's the case, I doubt I'll attend as an exhibitor. There's just no way I can break even with tables that expensive.

Okay, enough complaining.

My book, Woman King, debuted at MoCCA, and I've been really happy with the reception so far!
A few early reviews have already come in. Here's word from Henry Chamerlain at Newsarama, and Rob Clough at High-Low. I'll post more as they come in. You can pick up a copy from I Know Joe Kimpel.

I also had work in two anthologies that debuted at MoCCA this weekend!
Awesome 2: Awesomer from Indie Spinner Rack and Top Shelf! I was really honored to be invited to be a part of this. Some of the profits from the book go to the CCS Scholarship fund.

First Harvest from Trees and Hills is a collection of work from the first four minicomics anthologies the group put out.

But enough about comics. MoCCA is also about seeing friends!

More photos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment