Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Long Journey Home part 3- Chicago!

I've never been to the midwest before, and there's some debate as to whether or not Chicago counts because of the lake. Whatever, land-locked states make me uncomfortable.

But Chicago was great! Easy to get around on the train, pretty buildings, museums, and lovely fall weather. But best of all...

Chicago Trip

Chicago has Beth Hetland! Beth is a CCS alum, and worked with me at the Dartmouth Library (though her job was way cooler than mine) AND now she's in Chicago teaching at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. And she makes some pretty awesome comics.  I know this is a lot of "ands", but she is a busy lady, aaand a great tour guide. We went to more museums and attractions than I can fit into a blog post, so here's the highlights-

Chicago Trip

In keeping with theme #2 of the trip, there were dinosaurs abound at the Field Museum. This giant sloth tried to sneak up on me.

Chicago Trip 

 Next day we headed to the Art Institute of Chicago where, besides some cool lions, they have an amazing collection. I saw a real Van Goghs! And a Jacques-Louis David! And this Goya series-

Chicago Trip

- that is totally a comic. It was pretty exciting stuff, makes me wish I could go back to school and take a few classes at SAIC.

Colleen in my class!
photo by Beth Hetland

Next best thing, I got to go speak with one of Beth's classes at SAIC! Talked about comics, my weird process and working on Island Brat.  They were a great group, I'm grateful I got the opportunity to speak with them, and I hope to be reading all of their comics some day!

But my favorite part of Chicago was probably the donuts.

Next stop, Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment