Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Comic Geek Speak Super Show con report

Wow, I've been bad about my convention reporters this year. Comic Geek Speak Super Show in Reading, PA, was my third con of the season, and I think this is my first follow-up.

CGSSS

Drove to Reading with Alex Kim, Sean Ford, Chuck McBuck and Jon Chad. They're a good bunch of lads, and a fine time was had by all. 

We'd been invited to the show by Charlie and Mr. Phil of Indie Spinner Rack, and Sean and I ended up on a last-minute panel about Indie Publishing, moderated by Charlie. Think it might end up on the website at some point?

CGSSS
The panel ended when the ghost of Jack Kirby showed up, and scared everyone off.

Book sales at this show were kinda slow- talking to attendees, almost none of them were local. I met fans of the Comic Geek Speak podcast from Colorado, Florida and Texas, so it makes sense that after flying across the country to get to Reading PA people don't want to pick up books from an artist they've never heard of.

CGSSS sketches

BUT- I was able to make up the cost of the show in sketches! Brought along a travel gouache set and a Pentel Aquash, and spent most of the show painting. Below are some of the commissions and random sketches I did, the rest are up on flickr.

CGSSS sketches

CGSSS sketches




CGSSS sketches







CGSSS sketches 

So all in all, CGSSS was an okay show. Not really my audience, but we still found a way to break even. Best thing about the show was really the organization- there were signs everywhere, lots of volunteers to help out, free food vouchers for exhibitors (!!!) and someone stopped by our table at least twice a day to check in and see how we were doing. Great job, Comic Geek Speak!

No comments:

Post a Comment